Sunday, August 20, 2017

Knowing what we know if we don't know...

I can't even say that this post is going to be short/shorter so I will just apologize ahead of time and ask that if you are reading this you bear with me and understand why I am sharing the conversation I had, with my Pharmacist (owns the Independent Pharmacy at the Children's Hospital where my Heart Team is at). I also can't promise this will be the most entertaining update (but I doubt I am ever the most entertaining in the way I write!).
Jake has taught me a lot over the past 12 yrs and been an immense source of knowledge for my (I am sure) sometimes endless questions. He has always been willing to answer questions I had or to help me/my Team work out how to get a medication including sometimes brand new medications covered if my insurance was balking.
Anyways, so the other day I was talking about something I was frustrated with regarding my insur on my fb (and a drs office, not actually about the insurers) and how was it I could know how this particular issue we where dealing with worked but the drs office had no clue? Needless Jake commented (and he wasn't being rude, he was simply reminding me and I am thankful =) ).

So anyways, see below for what Jake wrote, if you have any thoughts please share in the comments section or respond via email. I really am curious others thoughts. I know many of us deal rather endlessly with insurance, insurance issues and working with (atleast in my case, though I am grateful for all the people who have been in my life and are still in my life regarding the insurance stuff ) a lot of Insurance folks, be it Case Managers, Medical Directors, and all the Hospital and Drs office people for our insurance to.

I've shared what Jake wrote re what I had posted on fb (he gave his permission I share this, please don't think I am sharing his words bc I think anything grand of myslf. I do not). I have learned what I know b/c I was blessed to have many fantastic people involved in my care who where amazingly knowledgeable and who where always willing to share what they knew with me. I am sharing what he wrote bc I had never heard of this effect he writes of and find it interesting!

                                           
-
Jake Olson Erica, you know more about insurance than 10 insurance people.
Have you have heard of the Dunning Kruger Effect? There are 2 sides to it, and you are a perfect example of the second part that is not as well known. Basically, the more you know about a subject, the more you assume everyone else knows the same thing, so you underestimate your ability and extremely high level of expertise about a subject.

You are an insurance expert. Very few people know as much as you. Take pride in that, but you also have to lower your expectations of other people.
Once I learned about this effect, it really helped me to be less frustrated with other people. I stopped assuming everyone else was as knowledgeable about a subject I know a lot about.
If you listen to podcasts, listen to this. It has seriously changed my life. (There are 3 stories, the part I am talking about is the Dunning Kruger Effect which is the second (or 3rd) part.

https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/585/in-defense-of-ignorance

I have started to use this concept with my pharmacy students. I give them a complex topic to research. When they come back to me with an answer, I ask them "Are you confident with you answer". If they answer yes, then I tell them to keep researching, because they probably missed something that they don't know they don't know. (The Trump part of the Effect if you google Dunning Kruger). Over confidence in a subject without all of the information. I have them keep going until they start finding the reason why I asked them the question (because I knew there wasn't a 100% correct answer). Once they have learned enough about the subject to start doubting their answer and they have a few options if the first answer doesn't work, then I tell them they are ready to answer the question.

I think this happens a lot in our life. We think we know enough about a subject to provide an answer or have an opinion, but we don't know that we have a gap in our knowledge that prevents us from fully understanding the situation. Then, once we do know a lot about a subject, we start to doubt our own abilities and get frustrated with people that don't know what we know. We also think that everyone else obviously knows as much about the subject as I do, so the frustration sets in.

I think you could apply this to our country's situation right now. Everyone has an opinion about North Korea, or Steve Bannon, or why police seem to be heavy handed in certain situations. We don't fully understand the complex issues because we don't know all aspects of the problem, so we are overconfident in our opinions about them. I always think to myself when I hear a news story, if there is an obvious answer to why something happened, I probably don't fully understand the situation.


I have thought a lot about what Jake shared this wk and definitely will make me think even more!
----------------

Pediatric (Peds) Neurosurgery,  Heart Rhytm -
There is plenty else going on, I'll do a better update on the rest soon but I exchanged emails with Dr.Guillaume , the Peds Nrsgn I saw while in Mn a few wks ago and he had just gotten back in to the ofc on Weds last wk. He will try to set up a Conf call with  Dr.Bragg and Dr.Iskandar though apparently he and Dr.Iskandar must have been at the same conf (curious Dr.Iskandar didn't say anything about this when I saw him last wk? He just asked me to let him know this wk if I hadn't heard anything and he would set up the Conf call btwn the 3 of them. Odd!?

Dr.Kovach  (Heart Rhythm) also emailed me re possibly starting the Amiodarone which non of us are to eager to do but he's talked to Dr.Earing my Cardiologist and they feel doing a series of baseline lab work and apt 1st makes the most sense. I go to CA next wk for 3 days for the initial Humira study and then again later in Sept + other things going on so I'm guessing will be a few wks till we get this scheduled.
                                                         Bay Beach, last wk
                                 
                    
Last but probably best is our 1st meeting of the year for Sunday School occurs tmrw night (8/21) w/our new Pastor. I am looking fwd! =)
Thanks for stopping by,

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment