Friday, May 31, 2019

Primary dr Appt,, to General Surgery it is; update on the other drug

Appt today with Primary (Internal Med) dr. re what's apparently unilateral inguinal hernia. I've had this for awhile now and had messaged my PCP a few wks ago for which she had asked me to come in then but I had put it off due to other stuff  I had going on and wasn't to bothersome (intermittent discomfort).
I finally made the appt earlier this wk and saw her today for which it was pretty apparent to her right away the issue was a unilateral inguinal hernia. Such fun (note sarcasm on this, lol).
She has 3 specific General Surgeons she gave me the name of at Dean and gave me the option to do a ultrasound 1st but also said she really felt we could bi-pass that as the issue is pretty apparent so a ultrasound may not really have given any more info. After leaving her office I called and talked to the Gen Surgery clinic and have an appt next Weds with 1 of the 3 docs she recommended who (looking at her profile) trained at UW and got out of training a few years ago. I like the younger docs (nothing against older ones, I have quite a few of these to, just the younger ones tend to not be jaded and for surgery cases tend to be more up on new approaches when it's possible which I think is part of why Dr.Simpson recommended the 3 she did).
 So we'll see I guess. - I messaged my former Nrsgn as I forgot to ask my PCP if she thought any repair might affect my 1 shunt placement (peritoneal, essentially in the abdomen) and Nrsgn didn't think so so that would be awesome if not!
                                     
On a separate note my PCP and the BioTech CEO had spoke earlier in the wk and I had gotten an email update from him (CEO) as well and the possible compassionate access drug was pretty much on hold. Turns out just 2 days later my Primary dr got a call today from this same CEO and they are going ahead with trying to get the process started to try and get approval + she, the infusion center pharmacist (where I infuse each wk) + the BioTech folks are working together to try and see if they can get it approved. I have no idea what changed and it's still a long shot BUT my PCP said she had already heard from several different people and she had as well talked to several different people at her center and the process has begun. That's pretty much all I can say but so freaking exciting if it did happen! There's some she/the infusion center Pharmacist have already sorted out (med storage) and other things Dr.Simpson said we'd have to figure out before I started the alternate drug IF it does get approved including the infusion rate and volume (the Aldurazyme I get now has been re-configured infusion wise to run at a longer infusion time for my case and about 1/2 the total volume due to my heart issues and concerns for fluid overload. They'd have to figure these same issues out and what/if any premeds to give if we get the new med under compassionate use. I so hope for a variety of reasons!!!
In the meantime my PCP gave me "homework" (that made me lol =)  ) and said she had homework herself related to this  (I seriously love her and am so grateful to this Dr for all the time she puts in to my care!) She is often working with 1 dr. or another or multiple drs./providers on my team as well as other related people related to my care in addition to doing other stuff she can to make things happen and is always amazing keeping me updated on who she's talked to or what she's working on + where things stand. She is a godsend to complex care! She is amazing at communicating what she is working on or where she is at in trying to reach out to any given other person related to my care + is persistent. I am grateful to her!
       2 years - sometimes hard to believe it's been this long since both moved. I miss them
                                         
                       
Will update after next wks appt. I also see Cardiology next wk (4mo f/up + Echo) so will try to update both things here.
Thanks for stopping by,

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment