Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Port-a-Cath placement via Interventional Radiology today

Hello All, Last week I had the hip injection through my Pain Mngmt dr ordered by my Orthopedic dr which was done under twilight sedation simply bc this dr is an anesthesiologist and well aware of my airway and lung issues. That went well other than the delay in getting to the procedure (1 hour wait in getting solu-cortef injection and overall delay) and afterwards while I dont remember much other than the initial injections (dye and numbing) it all went fine and no complications though minus the soreness (just different than the discomfort and "clicking"/tightening I get already in the hip joint and from trocanteric bursitis ) other than really low BP but that isnt altogether unsurprising either as my BP tends to run pretty low day to day. Today I had to be at Froedtert in Interventional Radiology for the Port a Cath placement which was placed in my old cardiac-reveal monitor (a continous EKG monitor which is read much like a continous feed device such as pacemakers, etc but purely monitor) scar site at the left upper shoulder and jugular vein region (2 scars - 1 new, 1 old). This was pretty much on time other than once again the order was written ahead of time by my endocrine dr for the solu-cortef (stress dose of cortisol replacement) so that was run an hour ahead of time and the clindamycin IV antibiotics as well. Ports are usually put in under sedation but my Interventionalist gave me the option of doing it under a nerve block while awake (I could have done twilight sedation or even some kind of nerve block and versed combo) to avoid us having to deal with the lung issues and having to worry about the airway issues. So while the normal precautins where taken like monitoring oxygen, heartrate, etc., I was able to talk to the interventional people the entire time which was definitely interesting! The only minor complication (and not really a complication) was that my provider had to place and remove the Port a couple times while he dealt with what he called a "quite a bit" of old scar tissue from the old cardiac monitor in order to get the cathether in properly and without it being kinked. Altogether the actual procedure still only took about a 1/2 hr from top to bottom and was totally worth the mild discomfort of having to lay flat for that period with my head turned in order to avoid dealing with airway!! I am home now and it is a 'baby' port secured and covered by surgical glue and steri strips which will fall off on their own and i'll follow up with Intrvnt'l Radiology clinic sometime next week - the glue and strips will fall off in 7-10 days. The area is a little sore (but still numb) and turning quite black and blue + the port itself is much more visible than I actually thought it would be but I think that is because of my thin build overall. All for now - Dont forget to vote if your in WI! Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment